Pages

Friday 26 September 2014

10 Days in Puerto Rico


I don't like to travel with a fixed schedule. I like the freedom to wake up in the morning and explore my surroundings and plan my day as I go. Therefore, I am not going to write up a strict itinerary of every minute of every day in Puerto Rico. That being said, I do have a list of things I want to do while I'm there. 

1. Bioilluminescent Bay ~ Laguna Grande

Located in Fajardo (approximately 1 hour from San Juan)
Kayaking 

Bioilluminescent Bay
Fajardo, Puerto Rico

As I mentioned earlier in my blog, this is one of the main reasons that Puerto Rico is high up on my list of places to see. There are some night kayaking tours that go to bioilluminescent bays. I feel it would be very interesting and exciting for me to connect my studies to the real world- micro-organisms that are capable of fluorescing!


2. La Cuevo del Indio

Located in Arecibo (approximately 1.5 hours from San Juan)
Archaeological cave site 


Arecibo

I enjoy exploring the history when I visit different countries and taking some risks. Therefore I feel that I would definitely enjoy making a connection to archaeological sites and ruins. I like having things to see and do. I feel that the vacations that I liked the most involved getting my hands a little dirty. I think I'm definitely too restless of a person to enjoy sitting on a resort beach for a week.  

Cuevo del Indo




3. Old San Juan
Markets, old historical sites, food

According to tripadvisor, Old San Juan is a great place for city walk sightseeing, shopping, nightlife, dancing, and dining. I think it would be a really fun way to spend a day or potentially a few evenings. After seeing some of the beautiful sites of Puerto Rico, I think it would be lovely to spend some time in the capital city and get a feel for what Puerto Rican culture is.  

Casa Blanca


Casa Blanca





El Morro


Castle El Morro

4. Beach
Ocean Park Beach - San Juan
Waves of relaxation...


Water!


I don't really like the beach that much. But I always feel obligated to visit a beach at least once if I'm in a warm place with easily accessible beaches. From the pictures it's a very beautiful place and it seems like a nice place to relax. Especially because this particular beach is not a family beach so there won't be children hopping around all over. 



5. El Yunque National Forest 


 El Yunque
El Yunque


Rainforest

I think walking through a rainforest would be an amazing experience and a great way to connect to nature. There are walking tours through the forest, but it's not necessary to have a guided tour because there are marked trails. I have been to one other rainforest before and it's a beautiful hike. Also, the species diversity in this type of climate is incredible to see! It would be such a great way to connect with nature.


Cost: free! (Or if you want a guided tour, there is a small donation)


6. Museum of Art of Puerto Rico

MAPR

I think art is a very important form of expression and that art can tell a lot of stories that may not be expressed otherwise. I feel that art is a very important part of experiencing another culture and seeing how Puerto Rican artists see themselves and the world past and present. 

From what I have seen of the exhibits online, the pieces are beautiful, vibrant, and interesting. I would love to walk through the gallery and see the world the way that these artists have seen it.  



7. Wildlife Museum- Museo de Vida Silvestre


Museo de Vida Silvestre
This museum is a wildlife/natural history museum. It has different biomes inside and a collection of animals based on ecosystems. This is definitely something that appeals to the biologist in me. I love animals and I think it's fascinating to see species diversity in different climates. 

Plus, the giant elephant in front of the museum is really cute! And I want to see it in person!



8. Save-A-Gato Cat Sanctuary
San Juan


Meow

Cats are my people. I would love to roam around a cat sanctuary for a day. Why would I not want to go to a cat filled land of wonder? 

Plus, I think it's a wonderful program that is volunteer powered. Volunteers feed and take care of all these cats that call the sanctuary home. From what I have researched, there is a trail (apx. 1.5 miles) through the park and lots of cats that roam freely.

Note to self: Remember to bring lots of allergy pills.



9. SoFo
South Fortaleza Street, San Juan
Food Festival

Food! Food! More Food!



Relatable

I would definitely consider myself to be a foodie, so visiting this restaurant filled street/ going through a food festival would be a great way to experience the culinary culture of Puerto Rico. Moreover, if I'm on vacation I'm not going to be eating something I can get here. I want to try the local delicacies!






No comments:

Post a Comment